Saturday 6 December 2014

Quick Tips: Saving Money at Christmas


Buying presents for every single person you know plus getting food for any parties you attend at christmas time can really add up. As a student, I try to be conscientious about how much money I am spending on things, especially at this time of year, since christmas is such a big thing in my family.So here are some ideas for some cheap but good presents to give to someone, and also just general ways to spend money at christmas.

1. Budgeting
This point is probably the most important point. Make a budget and stick to it.

2.Team up with someone to buy a joint present for a mutual friend/family member
Doing this means splitting the cost of a present in half (or even more, depending on how many people you team up with)! I have done this on more than one occasion and it's such a good way to save a bit of money, even if you don't do it for everyone you know.

3. Hand make a gift or card.
Often handmade gifts and cards are the ones that are treasured the most. Personally, I love receiving a present that someone has made especially for me. The internet is littered with ideas if you are struggling to come up with any.
A couple of years ago my younger sister made me a denim bag covered in badges of things I liked out of a pair of jeans. This was such a great gift to get - she put so much work into it and it looks fantastic (I still use it now).

4. Have a potluck dinner
A potluck dinner is when you and your friends arrange to have a christmas dinner together and each bring a plate of food, and also agree not to bring gifts for each other. This is a good way to go if you are looking to save money because it means you aren't spending copious amounts of time or money on catering, preparing a large meal, and buying presents.


5. Make cookies in a jar.
I hadn't really heard about this until a few days ago, but I thought that it was such a neat idea, and if done right it can look so pretty! Here is a link to Connections We Share's chocolate chip cookie recipe. And don't limit yourself to just make cookies ones - this kind of thing can be done with brownies too (you might need a massive jar for a cake, so unless you have one, I would recommend keeping clear of that!). These are great to give to friends or family who love home baked goods, but either can't cook to save their life, or just don't have the time.

So there you go. Stephanie's top 5 tips to save money during the holiday season. Hopefully these will be useful for you and you can utilise them this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment