Tuesday 10 March 2015

DIY Craft: Notebook-Themed Pencil Case


At school, and at university, I feel like sometimes I am in competition (with whom I don't know) to have the cutest stationery. And I love going all out, to the point where I now have too many cute notebooks, and pens, and the like, and I simply cannot take them all to class every day.

Ignoring the fact that I have far too many pencil cases, I decided to have a go at making a notebook themed one. It was quite simple, and I think it only took me about an hour or so, so it's a good craft to do when you are bored and wanting to fill in some time. There are obviously simpler (and more complex) designs you could use on your own pencil case, but I thought the notebook one was appropriate, and would look cute.


Notebook-Themed Pencil Case
You will need:
some white or cream fabric
white or cream thread
blue thread
red thread
4 buttons
some elastic, or two hair ties
a sewing machine and needles - it's okay if you would rather sew this by hand, it will just take you a little bit longer.

What to do:
Start out by cutting your cream fabric to the size that you want it. Mine ended up being around 40cm across, and 14cm lengthwise. The next step is to sew the blue lines all the way across. If it makes it easier you can mark out where you want the lines in chalk or pencil, but it's not too tricky and you can probably manage okay without doing that.


This next part is a little fiddly, so don't worry if it takes you a little while. Fold over and pin the sides so that the frayed edges of the fabric are not visible, then sew them up with the white thread.


Once you've done that you can sew the red lines on. I would recommend marking this out with chalk or pencil so that you get the distances correct. Next, sew the bottom and side edges together, and then attach the buttons, making sure that they are directly opposite each other. Then grab the elastic or hair ties and fix them round the buttons, so that they hold the pencil case closed.


And that's it! It's a pretty simple craft, but it ends up looking rather trendy, and be prepared for curious admirers asking about where you bought it from!


I hope you have fun with this cute craft, and have a wonderful week!


No comments:

Post a Comment