Tuesday 11 November 2014

Soundtracks


You probably don't know this about me, or maybe you do from reading the title of this post, but I am a huge sucker for soundtracks, especially those from fantasy movies. They are just so great for everything - background noise for studying, when doing art or writing, relaxing after a long day. As corny as it may sound, music has the power to do that - to change emotions, to make people feel things they never thought they would ever have to feel. I believe it is one of the most powerful mediums we have and this is so important. Anyway, enough of the cheesy ramble. There are some really beautiful ones out there, and I thought I would share some of my favourites with you today.

1. Maleficent
This movie came out earlier in the year and I think it is beautiful in so many ways. The soundtrack was composed by James Newton Howard and has some of my favourite pieces in it.

2. Torchwood (and also Doctor Who)
Ben Foster and Murray Gold are the geniuses behind these two soundtracks from two of my favourite tv shows. Listening to the music makes me want to cry, or laugh out loud whenever I listen to it, depending on where it was used in the shows. Definitely worth a listen.

3. Once Upon a Time
Before watching the show Once Upon a Time, I had not previously heard any of Mark Isham's work, but I cannot say I was disappointed.

4. The Lord of the Rings (all three)
I don't think I need to say too much about this as I'm sure most of you will have either seen the movies, or heard people raving about them. The score for all three movies was written by Howard Shore.

5. Amelie
Amelie is a French film, but don't let that put you off watching it. We watched it in our media class in school and I must say I was hesitant, but excited as I'd been wanting to see it for a long time. The soundtrack for Amelie is unlike anything else on this list, but it has a unique style which matches the mood of the film completely. The music was composed by Yann Tiersen.

6. Inception
As with The Lord of the Rings, I'm sure most people have seen this film by now. If not, it is worth a watch so grab a copy of it next time you go shopping. The soundtrack is by the one and only Hans Zimmer, who cannot have escaped your listening to at some point or another.

Of course, I could go on for a much longer time about all the music and soundtracks I adore, however that would probably end up boring you to death. Maybe I will make another post on this topic one day in the future, so all my other favourites don't get left out.

Let me know if you've seen any of these movies/shows, and which soundtracks are your favourites!

No comments:

Post a Comment