Wednesday 15 April 2015

Cake Decorating

Ever since my friend and I were in year 12 together way back in 2013, we have wanted to open a bakery together. In our form group at school we made cakes for everyone's birthdays, and decorated them all individually. Looking back now, some of the cakes probably looked rather average, but you have to start somewhere right? Recently I have been getting back into using fondant to decorate my cakes and when I was over in New Zealand over easter this year my aunt taught me a whole heap of new fondant and cake-making skills.

The image below is of a selection of the tools I use to decorate the fondant cakes. The rolling pin and the pink knife were presents for my mother's birthday, and everything else has been a really worthwhile investment.





These two cakes are from when I was over with my aunt. Although I know I still need to work on my writing icing skills (the cake on the left) I'm pretty happy with how it turned out overall.

The cake below is from just after we arrived home and I was teaching my mother and sister how to decorate with fondant. We used all the tools and actually had a lot of fun.



My friend and I are hoping to keep on improving our skills in the hope that one day in amongst our music (her) and psychology (me) work that we will be able to buy some land and set up the bakery we've been dreaming of. And as corny as that all sounds, I'm really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment