Saturday 14 February 2015

Farmhouse Sultana Cake Recipe



Life has been a little busy lately, so this has been the first time I've been able to do any baking in the last couple of weeks. So, with the house to myself for the day I set about flicking through recipe books, and found a few recipes I wanted to try out, this being one of them. Now, my mother has made this sultana cake for the family a few times, but I had never tried it myself. And I'm pretty happy with my first attempt at it!

Although this cake is a savoury based one, it's still delicious, and is one of the few sultana cake recipes I actually enjoy. Hopefully you will all enjoy it too!


Farmhouse Sultana Cake
Time Taken: 20 minutes +cooking time
Makes: 1 large cake, or 2 small ones

Ingredients:
  • 500g sultanas
  • water
  • 250g butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 1 teaspoon almond essence
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
Method:
Step 1. Put sultanas in an saucepan, cover with water and simmer for 5 minutes, then strain off water. Add the butter & sugar to the sultanas and stir well.

Step 2. In a bowl, mix together oat bran, flour, baking powder, & salt.

Step 3. Lightly beat the eggs. Then, add eggs alternately with flour mixture into the fruit.

Step 4. Add both essences to the mixture and stir. Then, pour into a cake tin lined with baking paper.

Step 5. Bake the cake at 175°C for 1 hour, then reduce the temperature to 130°C and bake for a further 30 minutes.
NB. If you're going to make two smaller cakes, cook for 15 minutes less on each of the times.

And that's about it. I particularly like this recipe because there's no icing, or topping to fiddle around with at the end, when all you do is want to try a slice. This cake tastes beautiful served either warm or cold.

Let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment